Recipe by ohbother
Another recipe from the South Beach Diet Parties & Recipes Cookbook. The book says that any good quality fresh green beans will do, but suggests that you look for haricots verts. the recipe looks marvelously fast and easy, especially if you use the pre-trimmed green beans from the supermarket. The book also suggests that the beans can be blanched one day in advance if you like. Another make-it-easier tip is to use minced garlic in a jar commonly found in supermarket produce sections (at least in California!).
Top Review by **Tinkerbell**
I made this quick & easy recipe to go along with lunch today & DH said it's his new favorite green bean recipe. DS (16) missed the bacon in the old recipe but loves the idea of this one being healthier for us. DH went to the store for the ingredients this morning & had two produce employees trying to figure out what haricots vert were. I didn't think to mention it... he's watched plenty of FoodNetwork with me. ;) But he came home with "French green beans" in a 6oz ready to steam bag. So I made a half recipe & the 3 of us scarfed it down right away. The initial flavor is fresh tangy lemon & then the sauteed garlic shines through. A light & refreshing side dish. Delish! Thanks for sharing this recipe, ohbother! We'll be bothering to make it again & again. ;) Made & enjoyed for Spring 2009 Pick A Chef.
- 1 lb green beans or 1 lb French haricots vert, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add beans, return to a boil, and cook until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Immediately drain in a colander and rinse under very cold water to stop cooking. Drain again and pat dry.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick. Add garlic and cook until softened, about 1 minute. Add beans and zest; cook, stirring occasionally, until beans are warmed through, about 2 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm OR at room temperature.