Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I revamped one of my favorite cold weather recipes to better fit within my new diet. I think this works for Phase 1.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 lbs beef chuck, well trimmed of fat and cut into 1 . 5 inch cubes
- to taste salt and pepper
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 -4 cups pinto beans (optional) or 2 -4 cups canned pinto beans (optional) or 2 -4 cups canned kidney beans (optional)
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven over high heat. Season beef with salt and pepper and brown beef in batches, without crowding pot. Transfer browned beef to bowl or platter.
- Add onions, green peppers and jalapenos to pot and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic to pot and cook veggies one minute more.
- Sprinkle veggies with chili powder, cumin and oregeno. Stir well.
- Return beef and any juices to pot. Stir in tomatoes with their juice and broth.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover pot. Simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours.
- Remove from heat and let cool a few minutes. Skim off surface fat. Stir in chocolate and cooked beans, if desired.
- Serve with sour cream, shredded low-fat cheddar and chopped green onions, if desired.