Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A delightful dessert for Phase 2. From the South Beach Supercharged book.
- 6 large egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup Splenda granular, plus
- 2 teaspoons Splenda granular
- 6 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free whipped topping
- 1⁄4 cup strongly brewed decaffeinated espresso
- Heat the oven to 350°F
- Lightly coat an 8x8 baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer at high speed, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt until soft peaks form, about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 tsp of the vanilla and beat to combine. Add 1/3 cup of the sugar substitute and beat until stiff peaks form. Sift 2 TB of the flour over beaten egg whites and gently fold to incorporate. Repeat twice with remaining flour until all the flour is incorporated.
- Pour batter into the pan and gently smooth the top. Bake, turning once halfway through, until cake is golden and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine ricotta, whipped topping, remaining 2 tsp sugar substitute, and remaining 1/4 tsp vanilla. Cut cake in half vertically down the middle to make two 4x8 pieces. Place the halves on a flat work surface. Drizzle 2 TB of the espresso onto each half.
- Spread half of the ricotta mixture onto one of the cake halves and dust with half of the cocoa powder. Top with remaining cake half; spread the top with remaining ricotta mixture and dust with remaining cocoa powder. Using a serrated knife, gently cut cake crosswise into 4 slices. Eat & Enjoy!