Recipe by Moogliwoogli
Our own twist on the Beach. Spicy, savory, tasty and oh so low in fat and carbs! What's not to love? Try substituting your favorite veggies, cheeses, or chicken...experiment and enjoy.
- 5 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups egg substitute
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, diced (or a mixture 2 different colored peppers-red, yellow or orange)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced (to taste)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, ground (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, ground
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat cheddar cheese (or low fat Mexican cheese blend)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Line 12 muffin tins with foil baking cups and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Thaw and drain frozen spinach, wring out well by hand.
- Use a fork or wire wisk to gently blend the eggs and egg substitute.
- Add the spinach, peppers, jalapeno, salt and seasonings and mix well with a whisk (or fork).
- Use a large spoon to fill the foil cups with the egg mixture. Make sure the mixture is evenly distributed between the cups.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, testing with a knife to make sure the eggs are set in the middle.
- Turn the oven to broil and brown the cheese (2-3 minutes maximum).
- Remove from oven and cool slightly before removing from muffin tin.
- Can be stored in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for 5-7 days.