Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is kind of like the Smothered Chicken they used to have at Cracker Barrel, but SBD friendly. Hubby likes his with salsa on top. I like mine plain. Hope you like it too!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- pepper, to taste
- Mrs. Dash garlic and herb seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 pieces turkey bacon
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms, any variety
- 1 onion, very thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large, oven-proof skillet, heat olive oil and garlic on low. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- In another pan, cook turkey bacon until almost done.
- In a zip-top bag, pound chicken breasts until thin. Season with pepper and seasoning.
- Place seasoned chicken into skillet, and brown on both sides until turkey bacon is done. Place turkey bacon on top of chicken, and place in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- While chicken is baking, in bacon pan sautee mushrooms and onions until carmelized.
- Remove chicken from oven, and top evenly with cheese. Return to oven for about 5 minutes, until fully melted.
- Remove chicken from oven and let rest about 3 minutes.
- Serve chicken with mushrooms and onions on top.
Chicken was dry and relatively unappetizing. I am not sure how to modify the recipe to make hte chicken more moist.
I thought this would be amazing but my chicken dried up in the oven. I thought the flavor combo sounded amazing, but was just disappointed with the chicken. Maybe next time i will put a little bit of broth in the casserole dish. I also crumbled the bacon which was a great idea.