Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
South Beach Diet friendly.
Make and share this South Beach Diet Oven-Fried Chicken With Almonds recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 dash black pepper, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, crushed and minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- Whole wheat bread crumbs:.
- Use 2 slices whole wheat bread, toast them until lightly brown, then pulse in a food processor. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pound the chicken breasts to a 1/2 inch thickness and cut them into 12 pieces.
- In a medium bowl, stir bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, almonds, parsley, garlic, salt, thyme and pepper until mixed.
- Pour oil onto a plate.
- Dip the chicken into the oil and then into the bread crumb mixture to coat.
- Place chicken on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until juices run clear when the thickest part of the chicken is pierced with the tip of a knife. (Do not turn chicken over).
- Serve immediately. Nutrition facts per serving 383 calories, 16 g total fat, 4 g saturated fat, 15 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 41 g protein.
I have made a version of this using honey roasted peanuts before, but subbing the almonds for peanuts was awesome and much healthier! It is definitely a keeper! Thanks for posting.
Well I made a few adjustments due to diet and then I made a few errors so I won't review for now but will say that DH liked the result so I will keep working on it. We can't have yeast or cheese so I sub'd whole wheat matzos that I blended along with probably more almonds than called for. I totally forgot about the parsley - never have fresh on hand anyways though. I used powdered garlic. This is the first time I've seen a recipe using oil first then crumbs. I can't tell if it improved things. I missed the oil on top so I may spray some olive oil next time. Also the bottom came out soggy and I was going to say that I will put the chicken on a rack next time... but then I noticed that I was supposed to use a flat sheet and I used a casserole pan. I think I still may try the rack next time.
I loved this recipe! Thanks for posting! Easy to make and delicious!