Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
These light airy little puffs of chocolate kept me from straying from Phase 1! Delicious!
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup Splenda granular (I used a little less than 2/3)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 handful of crushed almonds (optional) or 1 pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Combine egg whites, cream of tartar, and vanilla. Beat until the whites form soft peaks. Slowly add sugar substitute and cocoa; beat until stiff peaks form, and mixture becomes glossy.
- Optional - Fold in nuts.
- Drop mixture by teaspoonfuls on to a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool completely and store in an airtight container.
I just made them and ate the entire batch like a previous poster. I could not believe what a nice meringue one can make with Splenda granular! Those who said they ended up with runny messes had to have used commercially available pasteurized egg whites which will not whip to a meringue no matter what you do. Take a few seconds to separate 3 eggs and these are easy and awesome. I added almond extract and 1/3 cup almond meal to make a fuller cookie. Can't wait to make these again in a double recipe and use a piping bag to make them pretty.
OMG!!! This recipe is amazing!!! Phase 1 of my low carb diet has been challenging to say the least. I made this recipe and it turned out soooo great. Use real egg whites and you won't believe how easy this recipe is to make. I opted not to add an almonds or nuts because it was the first time making them. They don't need anything....they are perfect! I did make them bigger (double the size recommended) and increased my cook time to 35 minutes. They turned out sooooo amazing. I uploaded a picture of my meringues....they turned out beautifully! They taste like meringue brownies....OMG! TY TYTY for the recipe...I feel like I can maintain this diet because I know I have these little jewels to get me through the tough times : )
The first time I made these I ate the entire batch that evening. I am making them again tonight but am doubling the recipe. I really like them! But- I am a chocolate freak and am trying to cut down on sugar so this hits the spot for me.