Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 mins
This is a quick and flavorful adaptation of the general recipe in the South Beach Supercharged book. It's warm and homey and quite filling, plus it's delicious!
- 4.92 ml olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 118.29 ml green pepper, chopped
- 2.46 ml sazon goya (one packet)
- 4.92 ml dried oregano or 4.92 ml fresh oregano
- 2 (850.48 g) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 473.18 ml chicken broth
- 14.79 ml cilantro, chopped plus additional (to garnish)
- 118.29 ml fresh tomato, chopped (Roma works best)
- In a medium sauce pan, sauté onion, garlic and green pepper in olive oil until they begin to soften (about 5-7 minutes).
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the tomatoes) and bring to a rolling boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 5-7 minutes longer.
- Remove about half of the mixture and place in a blender and puree, returned pureed soup to the pot (or if you have an immersion blender, use it in the pot for the entire batch).
- Serve hot with chopped tomatoes and a few more sprigs of cilantro.
This was a quick fix for my chili craving. I subbed rinsed chili style tomatoes for the roma, 1 tps. taco seasoning for the sazon goya and added a 1/2 teaspoon of cumin. Great recipe!