Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a quick and flavorful adaptation of the general recipe in the South Beach Supercharged book. It's warm and homey and quite filling, plus it's delicious!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sazon goya (one packet)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped plus additional (to garnish)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh tomato, chopped (Roma works best)
- In a medium sauce pan, sauté onion, garlic and green pepper in olive oil until they begin to soften (about 5-7 minutes).
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the tomatoes) and bring to a rolling boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 5-7 minutes longer.
- Remove about half of the mixture and place in a blender and puree, returned pureed soup to the pot (or if you have an immersion blender, use it in the pot for the entire batch).
- Serve hot with chopped tomatoes and a few more sprigs of cilantro.