This is a quick and flavorful adaptation of the general recipe in the South Beach Supercharged book. It's warm and homey and quite filling, plus it's delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sazon goya (one packet)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped plus additional (to garnish)
- 1/2 cup fresh tomato, chopped (Roma works best)
- 1In a medium sauce pan, sauté onion, garlic and green pepper in olive oil until they begin to soften (about 5-7 minutes).
- 2Add the rest of the ingredients (except the tomatoes) and bring to a rolling boil.
- 3Reduce heat and simmer 5-7 minutes longer.
- 4Remove about half of the mixture and place in a blender and puree, returned pureed soup to the pot (or if you have an immersion blender, use it in the pot for the entire batch).
- 5Serve hot with chopped tomatoes and a few more sprigs of cilantro.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for South Beach Diet Black Bean Soup (Phase I Friendly)
Serving Size: 1 (224 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 248.9
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 385.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.3 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 16.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: