Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I went on the South Beach Diet two years ago because I wanted to develop healthy eating habits. My whole family really enjoys this soup. This recipe came from The South Beach Diet Online.
- 1 1⁄2 small head of broccoli (about 3 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups leeks, sliced (white part only)
- 3⁄4 cup celery, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 quarts chicken broth, fat-free
- 3 cups evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- ground pepper (to taste)
- Cut the broccoli into florets and set aside.
- Trim and discard the tough fibrous skin from the stems, coarsely chop and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, warm the oil.
- Add leeks and celery and saute for 8 minutes, or until the leeks are soft.
- Add the broccoli stems and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the broccoli florets and simmer for 10 minutes more.
- Puree the mixture in a food processor or blender. Return to saucepan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup of evaporated milk with the cornstarch until smooth.
- Slowly add to the broccoli mixture, stirring constantly over medium heat.
- Stir in the remaining milk, thyme, and pepper. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more.
Awesome recipe! I loved it and so did my four picky eaters. The only thing I did was add some garlic because I just love garlic.
What an awesome recipe! I loved this soup. I halved the recipe as I am the only one in the house who will eat broccoli soup but seriously, I'm going to make everyone try this tonight as I am sure they will like it. I did make one mistake though, I opened the wrong tin of evaporated milk, so I didn't use skim but 2% evap milk in error. It may be a bit richer, but I'm sure the general flavour of the soup is the same. I am wondering if this freezes well? Could you maybe add a notation to your intro if you have ever frozen it? Made for Fall PAC 2011. Thanks Molidol, I thoroughly enjoyed all three of your recipes that I made for PAC.