Recipe by Kitcatrenee
A nice dessert custard - perfect for Phase 1, 2 or 3 on the South Beach Diet. Came from the South Beach Cookbook.
Top Review by mizunihung
The custard turned out to be a somewhat watery and the texture was a bit off so I am taking off one star. However, the taste was quite good. In addition to the tablespoons of espresso powder, I also added a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder for an espresso chocolate custard with cinnamon! Going through phase 1 of the South Beach Diet is not easy and having these tasty desserts makes everything less monotonous.
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons sugar substitute
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder or 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all the ingredients until well blended. Pour into four 6 ounce custard cups or ramekins and place in a 10" skillet.
- Fill the skillet with water to 1/2" from the top of the custard cups. Bring the water to a boil overhigh heat. Reduce the heat to low; cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the cups from the skillet, cover with plastic wrap touching the surface of the pudding, and refrigerate for 3 hours, or until chilled. Garnish with cinnamon if desired.
- (Also tastes good warm).