1/1 Photo of South Aussie Lamb Yiros (Or Gyros, Souvlaki, Kebabs, Doner Kabab
This is a Greek street food that is very popular in Australia. In each state you will find it called something different however South Australia seems to be the only one to use the term 'yiros'. It is a popular late-night feast after a big night 'on the grog'. The standard salad ingredients are lettuce, raw onion and tomato topped with a garlic (but not tzatziki) sauce. Tabbouli, cheese and chili sauce are also popular fillings as are chicken, beef and falafels. Which ever meat is used it is cooked by stacking thin slices of marinated meat on a vertical skewer which turns in front of a heat source. The meat is then carved vertically from the skewer so the meat is in very thin shards. This is my version. I have used tzatziki as I have yet to discover the secret of South Aussie garlic sauce! Australian measurements used.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Slice lamb into very thin strips. Place in a plastic bag together with the olive oil and nostimini blend. Massage to make sure the oil and nostimini has coated all of the meat. Allow to marinate for minimum of 30 minutes.
- 2While lamb marinates thinly slice tomato and onion. Shred lettuce. Set aside in fridge.
- 3Cut 2 foil sheets 10cm (4") larger all around that your pita bread. Cut 2 baking paper sheets the same size as the pita. Place one sheet of baking paper on top of each sheet of foil.
- 4Heat 2 frypans to med-hot.
- 5Lightly spray one side of a pita with cooking spray and place this side down on one fry pan. Spray the other pan with cooking spray and stir-fry half the meat until cooked. (Do not allow to stew - crusty bits are good.).
- 6When meat is ready remove from heat. Place one foil/paper stack on a plate.
- 7Working quickly, remove pita from heat and place on the paper with toasted side up.
- 8Now place the meat then half the salad items and tzatziki down the middle of the pita. Use the paper to tightly roll each side of the pita into the centre ensuring one side crosses the other. Roll package in the foil. Twist the bottom of the foil to catch the juices.
- 9Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- 10Serve with plenty of napkins!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for South Aussie Lamb Yiros (Or Gyros, Souvlaki, Kebabs, Doner Kabab
Serving Size: 1 (313 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 581.5
- Calories from Fat 267
- Total Fat 29.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 117.5 mg
- Sodium 426.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 38.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
nostimini herb mix