Prep 1 hr
Cook 25 mins
In '1,000 Low-Calorie Recipes' by Jackie Newgent, RD'
- 1 tablespoon unrefined peanut oil or 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons freshly grated gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons brown rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup spring peas (fresh or frozen, thawed)
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala or 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 lb yukon gold potato, unpeeled, scrubbed, baked, and smashed
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 24 sheets whole wheat phyllo dough, thawed if frozen
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over med-high heat.
- Add the onion, ginger, and vinegar and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add the peas, coriander, cumin, lemon zest, garam masala, salt, and chili powder and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and cilantro and saute for 2 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning to taste; transfer mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- Whisk together the butter, tahini, mustard, and 3 tablespoons water until smooth; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Unroll and cover the phyllo sheets with a damp clean kitchen towel.
- One at a time, lay a phyllo sheet flat on a clean surface and very lightly brush with the melted butter mixture.
- Fold in one-third of the phyllo lengthways toward the middle.
- Very lightly brush again with the butter mixture and fold in the other side to make a long triple-layered rectangle.
- Place 1 rounded tablespoon of the vegetable mixture at one end of the long rectangle, leaving about 1-inch border.
- Take the right corner and fold diagonally to the left, encasing the filling and forming a triangle.
- Then fold along the upper crease of the triangle, and continue folding in this manner until you reach the end of the long rectangle.
- Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and very lightly brush the outer surface with the remaining butter mixture; repeat with remaining phyllo sheets and filling.
- Bake until crisp and golden brown, about 25 minutes, rotating halfway through the baking process.
- Place the samosas on a large platter and serve.