- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped red bell peppers
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄4 cup drained capers
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, bell peppers and garlic; sauté 5 minutes.
- Add beef, cumin and cayenne pepper; sauté until beef is brown, breaking up beef with back of fork, about 8 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, broth, peas and capers.
- Simmer until picadillo is thick, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.