Recipe by gailanng
Don't be dissuaded because of the ingredient Velvetta. If there ever was a recipe made for it, this is it. Serve over baked potatoes, vegetables, fish, pasta or any which way your creative juices take you.
Top Review by Lucky in Bayview
I made this to use as a dip rather than a sauce and we really liked it. I didn't have any cream, so I used milk and used about half of what was called for in the recipe. We loved the the fresh, lite taste. It was a really nice change from our usual queso dip. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced or 1 -2 pepper, of your choice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 2⁄3 cup light cream, half-and-half or 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Velveeta cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy skillet heat oil then add garlic, onion and fresh pepper over medium heat. Saute onion until translucent and soft. Stir in tomatoes. Reduce heat to low and simmer for approximately 15 minutes or until mixture has slightly thickened.
- Stir in cream and Velveeta; cook over medium heat until Velveeta has melted, stirring until smooth. Stir in cilantro then season with salt and pepper, to taste. If too thick, thin with a few tablespoons chicken broth.
- Serve immediately. See serving suggestions in recipe description.