Cook1 hr 10 mins
This recipe has been lurking in my filing system forever as a cutting from some magazine or other! It looks like there are a lot of ingredients, but there’s nothing unusual to find. The chocolate gives this recipe authenticity. Posted for Zaar World Tour 2005.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved and chopped
- 2 red peppers, roughly chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 red chile, chopped (mild)
- 3⁄4 ounce dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 1⁄4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 14 ounces sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetcorn (in water)
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal (instant polenta)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook onion, peppers and celery for 8 minutes; stir in the next 9 ingredients (or in other words, everything except the topping ingredients) and simmer for 25 minutes; spoon the mixture into a large oven proof dish.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F / 190 C /gas mark 5.
- Drain off 4 tbsps water from the sweetcorn, then whizz the rest of the contents of the tin in a blender; place pureed sweetcorn in a saucepan, add polenta and stir and simmer to thicken.
- Allow to sweetcorn mix to cool then beat in the egg; spread the mix over the filling and sprinkle over with paprika, sugar and salt.
- Bake for 35 minutes.