1/1 Photo of South American Bean and Sweet Potato Bake
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Mrs B's Note:
This recipe has been lurking in my filing system forever as a cutting from some magazine or other! It looks like there are a lot of ingredients, but there’s nothing unusual to find. The chocolate gives this recipe authenticity. Posted for Zaar World Tour 2005.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved and chopped
- 2 red peppers, roughly chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 red chile, chopped (mild)
- 3/4 ounce dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 14 ounces sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook onion, peppers and celery for 8 minutes; stir in the next 9 ingredients (or in other words, everything except the topping ingredients) and simmer for 25 minutes; spoon the mixture into a large oven proof dish.
- 2Preheat the oven to 375 F / 190 C /gas mark 5.
- 3Drain off 4 tbsps water from the sweetcorn, then whizz the rest of the contents of the tin in a blender; place pureed sweetcorn in a saucepan, add polenta and stir and simmer to thicken.
- 4Allow to sweetcorn mix to cool then beat in the egg; spread the mix over the filling and sprinkle over with paprika, sugar and salt.
- 5Bake for 35 minutes.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for South American Bean and Sweet Potato Bake
Serving Size: 1 (426 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 433.9
- Calories from Fat 145
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 52.8 mg
- Sodium 555.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.8 g
- Sugars 16.8 g
- Protein 12.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: