Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
These alfa-HORE-ez are really different and delicious, but take extra time.
CARAMELIZED SWEETENED MILK
- 11 ounces sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
- boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup firm margarine, softened
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1 1⁄4 cups cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- Empty sweetened condensed milk into 8 inch glass pie plate. If you can’t find 11 oz. sweetened condensed milk then use 14 oz. Put 1/4 inch hot water into 2 quart shallow casserole. Set pie plate in water. Bake at 425°F for about 1 hour and 20 minutes to caramelize.
- FOR THE COOKIES: Cream butter and sugar in medium bowl. Beat in egg and egg yolk. Add lemon peel, cornstarch, flour and baking powder. Stir. Work with your hands until dough sticks together. Let dough rest for 15 minutes. Roll dough a scant 1/4 inch thick on floured surface. Cut into 1 1/2 inch circles. Arrange on greased baking sheet. Bake in 325°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes. They should be dry but not brown. Cool.
- Sandwich 2 cookies together with a layer of caramelized condensed milk. Spread a thin layer of caramelized condensed milk around outside edge of alfajores. Roll edge in coconut. Makes 30 alfajores.
- Leftover caramelized sweetened condensed milk is great on toast.
- Company’s Coming for Christmas.
the cooki dosen't need sugar, only for out side