Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
A sweet and spicy mixture of flavourings infuse Basmati rice and raisins for a delicious and exotic dinner side.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cups white basmati rice
- 3 1⁄2 cups low sodium vegetable broth or 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- Heat oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Add the fresh and ground ginger, sugar, turmeric, cinnamon and curry powder.
- Sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and cook 2 minutes, then add the vegetable broth, salt and raisins. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, loosely covered, until rice is completely cooked – about 15 minutes. Add water if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Remove pot from heat, cover, and allow to stand for 5 minutes.