1/1 Photo of South African "vetkoek" (Bread Machine Recipe)
1 hr 20 mins
Very traditional 'deep-fried breadrolls'; sounds weird but unbelievably good. We grew up with these at least once a week: either filled with curried 'mince' (ground beef) (these we called curry bunnies); or just halved and spread with butter and preserves or syrup. Yumm.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Measure water into bread machine pan.
- 2Add dry ingredients.
- 3Add yeast.
- 4Set machine on 'dough setting' and start.
- 5When done (after 1 1/2 hrs) remove and divide into 10 balls on lightly floured surface. Flatten slightly.
- 6Let rise for 1/2 hour in warm place.
- 7Warm oil in pan - about 1 inch deep - on medium heat setting (not hot!).
- 8Fry vetkoeks about 5 minutes a side (turn over when golden). Pack them quite close together in the pan: it helps with rising.
- 9They should be the color of doughnuts when ready.
- 10Drain on kitchen towels.
- 11As soon as you can bear to touch them, slice open and spread with butter and your favorite preserve.
- 13(cooking time is bread machine cycle).
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for South African "vetkoek" (Bread Machine Recipe)
Serving Size: 1 (50 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 105.5
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 234.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 4.0 g