Recipe by MariaT
Vetkoek means fat cake, since you are frying and not baking the bread. It is a classic South African bread, served with savory or sweet fillings.
- 250 ml cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 125 ml milk
- 125 ml oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Beat egg separately and add to flour.
- Add milk and mix until smooth.
- Heat oil in frying pan and drop a heaped tablespoon of the mixture into oil. (Once you have tried this you can decide to use more batter to yield a larger "vetkoek").
- Don't make more than four at a time!
- Fry for two to three minutes on one side, then turn and fry for one minute on other side.
- Serve hot with any filling you like. A few examples: Savory:Tuna or chicken mayo, mince(ground beef) & cheese, etc. Sweet:Syrup, etc.