Meri Williams's Note:
My own variation on the very popular South African style of Lemon Meringue Pie. Has a biscuit base, delicious tart lemon filling and fluffy meringue. I worked out the recipe based on others I'd found and trying to approximate the pie I remembered from my childhood! Can be made either as two big pies (shallow 20cm, or in theory one deep pie with lots of meringue!) or a series of smaller ones in muffin or cupcake cases.
My Private Note
pies (o ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Crush the digestive biscuits (putting them in a freezer bag and attacking them with a rolling pin works well).
- 2Melt the butter and add it to the crumbs. The mix should pack well.
- 3Pack it down to less than 1cm thick in the base of either a large tin or dish, or in cupcake or muffin cases in a muffin or cupcake tin.
- 4Preheat the oven to 150 degrees Celsius
- 5Separate the eggs.
- 6Beat the yolks with the juice of the 3 lemons and the zest of one of the lemons, until white and frothy.
- 7Add the can of condensed milk and beat until fully integrated and "gloopy".
- 8Spoon a layer of lemon mix atop the biscuit base(s).
- 9Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, then slowly add caster sugar. When ready, the meringue should be at the firm peak stage and lovely and glossy.
- 10Spoon meringue over the lemon mixture.
- 11Bake for 15 mins at 150 degrees C or until the meringue is gold on top.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for South African Style Lemon Meringue Pie
Serving Size: 1 (68 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 184.0
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 58.1 mg
- Sodium 140.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 17.6 g
- Protein 4.2 g