Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
This recipe was shared with me by a friend from South Africa. I'm usually not a lover of curry but this was so good!
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 lb cooked beef or 1⁄2 lb cooked chicken or 1⁄2 lb cooked pork
- 1 1⁄2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 cup water
- Over medium high heat, pour canola oil in a large, heated saute pan.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until light brown.
- Add pepper and then tomatoes.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Lower heat to medium.
- Add meat, curry and nutmeg and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add 1 cup water and then rice; stir and cover.
- Cook at medium heat for 40-50 minutes or until rice is tender.
- IMPORTANT: ADD WATER AS NEEDED TO KEEP RICE FROM STICKING TO PAN.
- Serve as is or with tortillas.
It's a very good recipe, pretty simple, and fairly common ingredients. I made it with lean ground beef, fresh diced tomatoes (instead of canned to avoid the sodium), and instant white rice (to cut the 40-45 minute last cook time to about 10 minutes).
Next time I would cut down the oil significantly--you don't need 1/2 cup to saute the onions and garlic, and it leaves the final product a bit slicker than I prefer. Also, I would cut the black pepper a little and add a little hot pepper.
PAC Fall 2007 ~ Very nice. I used leftover pork in this. Loved the flavor the nutmeg gave to it. Would like to try again with the beef.
Fantastic meal, I'm not usually big on curry based mmeals but this one went down a treat I loved it and so did all who ate it too. Fantastic!