Recipe by Cheri Lee
This recipe was shared with me by a friend from South Africa. I'm usually not a lover of curry but this was so good!
Top Review by scottsb
It's a very good recipe, pretty simple, and fairly common ingredients. I made it with lean ground beef, fresh diced tomatoes (instead of canned to avoid the sodium), and instant white rice (to cut the 40-45 minute last cook time to about 10 minutes).
Next time I would cut down the oil significantly--you don't need 1/2 cup to saute the onions and garlic, and it leaves the final product a bit slicker than I prefer. Also, I would cut the black pepper a little and add a little hot pepper.
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 lb cooked beef or 1⁄2 lb cooked chicken or 1⁄2 lb cooked pork
- 1 1⁄2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Over medium high heat, pour canola oil in a large, heated saute pan.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until light brown.
- Add pepper and then tomatoes.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Lower heat to medium.
- Add meat, curry and nutmeg and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add 1 cup water and then rice; stir and cover.
- Cook at medium heat for 40-50 minutes or until rice is tender.
- IMPORTANT: ADD WATER AS NEEDED TO KEEP RICE FROM STICKING TO PAN.
- Serve as is or with tortillas.