1/1 Photo of South African Sausage (Boerewors)
1 hr 15 mins
This is the best sausage I have ever had. It will make any South African Homesick instantly. It is very filling. I got it when I lived in South Africa for a couple of years.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Skip the first few steps if you are using ground beef and pork.
- 2Prepare beef and pork by trimming off all sinew, and other nasty bits and pieces that may affect the texture.
- 3To facilitate mincing, cut meat into long, narrow strips about 3 inch in diameter and freeze for about 30 minutes.
- 4Mince meat through a course mincer for a rough texture, or finely if you prefer.
- 5Allow the meat to be fed through with very little assistance from the tamper.
- 6Finish off by mincing a piece of bread to remove every vestige of meat from the mincer.
- 7Roast coriander and cloves in a dry frying pan, tossing the spices about until uniformly brown and aromatic.
- 8Don’t allow to burn.
- 9Grind spices with a pestle and mortar, sift to remove husks, mix with remaining spices and sugar and sprinkle over the mince.
- 10Lightly mix in wine or vinegar.
- 11Drain the casings and place over one end of the filling horn (I use the kitchen aid attachment and carefully push all of the casings on leaving a 3 inch length hanging down).
- 12Tie a knot in this.
- 13Grabbing hold of a second pair of hands at this point makes wors-making less traumatic.
- 14You can then feed the mixture in while your assistant hold the casings, guiding the filling inches.
- 15Feed the mixture into the mincer a little at a time, while securing the casing with a gentle pressure of one hand on the horn to control the unrolling of the casing as its filled.
- 16Mould the sausage with your hand to make it uniformly thick.
- 17Don’t pack the casings too full, or the wors will burst while cooking, but try to avoid air bubbles.
- 18After the casing has been filled, remove it – still attached to the horn – from the machine.
- 19Push any remaining filling into the casing and tie a knot in the end.
- 20BBQ quickly over hot coals.
- 21The skin should be crisp and the middle just pink.
- 22Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for South African Sausage (Boerewors)
Serving Size: 1 (3199 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 395.3
- Calories from Fat 353
- Total Fat 39.2 g
- Saturated Fat 15.9 g
- Cholesterol 66.7 mg
- Sodium 383.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 8.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: