Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A south African Tradition!
Make and share this South African Rusks recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly mix the dry ingredients.
- Combine all the wet ingredients, pour them into the dry ingredients, and stir until you have a soft dough, similar to biscuit dough.
- Turn the dough onto a well-floured surface and roll or pat it to about a 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut the dough into rectangles about 2 by 4 inches.
- Bake the rusks about 2 inches apart on buttered baking sheet for about 25 minutes until the tops are crisping and browning a little.
- Loosely pile the rusks on a baking sheet and keep them in a 200 degree oven all day or all night (about 12 hours) to dry.
- The finished rusks should be very dry and hard.
- Cool and store in an airtight container.
- Rusks will keep for weeks.
- Variations Oatmeal-Raisin Rusks: Reduce the white flour to 1 1/2 cups and add 2 cups rolled oats and 1/2 cup currants or chopped raisins.
- Almond Rusks: Add 1 cup chopped almonds and omit the cinnamon.
- Peanut Rusks: Add 1 cup coarsely chopped peanuts.