1/2 Photos of South African - Roasted Eggplant Salad
Baby Kato's Note:
This recipe is from a website called South African Traditional Recipes and has been posted here for the ZWT-7 Tour of South Africa. It sounds excellent.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1To roast the eggplants, preheat a charcoal or gas grill or a broiler.
- 2Roast the eggplants, turning as needed, until the skin is charred on all sides, the time will vary depending on the cooking method you use.
- 3The eggplant is cooked when it is soft and looks somewhat deflated.
- 4Place the eggplant on a plate to cool.
- 5Trim and seed the red pepper, then cut into 1/4-inch dice.
- 6Cut the cucumber lengthwise in half, scoop out the seeds with a spoon, and cut into ¼-inch dice.
- 7Peel and finely chop the onion.
- 8Peel and finely chop the garlic.
- 9Once the eggplant is cool enough to handle, remove as much of the skin as possible along with any large dark seeds.
- 10Cut the eggplant into 1-inch squares and place it in a colander in the sink or over a bowl for 5 to 10 minutes to allow excess liquid to drain, set aside until needed.
- 11Transfer the eggplant to a serving dish and add the red pepper, cucumber, onion and garlic.
- 12Stir in the olive oil and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- 13Serve immediately or the salt will draw out too much moister from the vegetables.
Browse Our Top South African Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All South African Recipes
Nutritional Facts for South African - Roasted Eggplant Salad
Serving Size: 1 (258 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 314.2
- Calories from Fat 190
- Total Fat 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 594.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.7 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 5.5 g