Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I've not tried this dessert, but it sounds lovely. Borrowed shamelessly from Moosewood.
- 2 1⁄2 cups unbleached white flour, plus extra for rolling
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached white flour
- 5 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- For the crust, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or knife until the flour resembles a coarse cornmeal.
- Stir in the sour cream to form a soft dough.
- Dust the dough with flour and form it into a ball.
- On a generously floured surface, roll out the dough to fix at 11x13-inch baking sheet or a 14-inch pizza pan. It will be thicker than a usual pie crust.
- Carefully lift the dough and lay it out flat on the unoiled pan. Crimp the edges by pinching them to form a rim. Pierce the dough with a fork in several places.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Meanwhile, make the custard by heating the milk to boiling.
- Combine the sugar, flour, eggs, and salt in a blender.
- When the milk begins o foam, pur it slowly into the whirling blender.
- Pour the custard back into the saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 3-5 minutes, until thickened.
- Remove from the heat, and stir in the vanilla and almond extracts. Set aside.
- When the crust has baked, spread the custard filling evenly over it.
- Generously sprinkle the top with cinnamon and brown sugar. Return the tart to the oven for about 15 minutes, until the brown sugar melts and the top of the custard is firm.
- Serve the milk tart warm or cold.
This was very good, but it was a little more difficult than some of the other recipes I have used. I wasn't able to get my custard to be smooth, so our Milk Tart ended up lumpy, but this is most likely my lack of experience than your recipe :). It was still very good, and my South African boyfriend approve so it worked out just fine. Thank you very much.