Recipe by Bokenpop aka Madeleine
This is a wonderfully thick and flavourful milk custard set in a crust. A traditional tart which is loved by young and old alike. Children especially love the filling as a dessert.
Top Review by icynorth
The filling was very good and easy to prepare. I decided to make this with a shortbread crust instead since that is my personal preference for this pie. A prebaked frozen pie crust would work well too.
- 2 prepared graham cracker crusts
- 1 liter milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups cake flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 3 cups of milk to boiling point.
- Mix remaining milk, flour, sugar, extracts, salt and egg yolks together and add to hot milk.
- Cook until very thick and remove from stove.
- Whisk egg whites to stiff peak stage and add to milk mixture after it has been off the stove for 5 minutes.
- Stir in margarine and pour mixture into ready-made pie shells.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Refrigerate to cool and set.