Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a type of custard pie made in South Africa. This is a simple yet totally satisfying dessert or as a treat with coffee.
- 300 ml sweetened condensed milk (Eagle Brand Condensed Milk)
- 1800 ml milk (6 tins, use tin to measure)
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons custard powder (Birds Custard Powder)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Mix sweetened condensed milk, 1 tin (300 ml) milk, egg yolks, corn starch and custard powder in a large microwave proof casserole dish. Whisk together until mixed well. Add the rest of the milk (5 tins or 1500 ml) and mix well again. Cook at high power in microwave for 3 minutes. Stir well and add margarine and vanilla. Cook for 3 minutes, stir well, continue cooking in two or three minute intevals until mixture is thickened and smooth. It takes about 8 minutes total in my microwave. Allow to cool slightly.
- Beat reserved egg whites until stiffly beaten. Fold in egg whites into cooked milk mixture.
- Pour into three baked pie crust - use Pat in Pan pie crust as a good pie crust for this pie.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top of pie.
It is indeed a South African favourite, and my husband was delighted to have this special treat! I scaled back the recipe for one tart, and used Pat in Pan Margarine Crust - (Adapted from Joy of Cooking) for the crust. Thank you for sharing Debbie, this recipe was made for Spring PAC 2013