1/5 Photos of South African Malay Curry
1 hr 20 mins
Posting this for ZWT 2006, this is a typical South African Curry. For those who dislike Coconut Milk in curries try this one; it is coconut milk free. This is served over rice or with a bread such as Chapatis.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small piece fresh gingerroot, peeled and crushed (or 1 tsp. ground Ginger)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder (or more, to taste, I use LOTS more)
- 1/2 teaspoon clove
- 2 lbs lamb (or beef)
- 1/2 lb eggplant, cubed
- 1 sweet green pepper, cleaned and chopped
- 1 -2 hot green chili pepper
- 1 cup dried apricot, soaked in warm water and drained
- 6 ounces tomato paste (one small can)
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 cups beef broth or 2 cups stock
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- 1 cup plain yogurt or 1 cup buttermilk
- 1Heat the oil in a large pot; over high heat, fry the onions and garlic, stirring continuously; add the spices and continue stirring for a minute.
- 2Reduce heat slightly; add the meat and fry it until it is browned on all sides; (this may be easier if you remove the onions and set them aside, then return them to the pot after the meat is browned.).
- 3Add all remaining ingredients except the apricot jam and yogurt (or buttermilk).
- 4Cover & Reduce heat; simmer on low heat, stirring occasionally, until everything is tender, approximately an hour.
- 5Stir in jam and yogurt (or buttermilk) a few minutes before serving.
- 6Serve with traditional Curry Garnishes such as Chutney, Peanuts, sliced Bananas and dates.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for South African Malay Curry
Serving Size: 1 (392 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 740.4
- Calories from Fat 323
- Total Fat 35.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 127.9 mg
- Sodium 929.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 47.8 g
- Protein 40.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: