1 hr 20 mins
Miss Annie's Note:
In South Africa, curried ground lamb, bread soaked in milk, almonds, raisins and bay leaves fashioned into a kind of flat meat loaf is described by some as a collision of Dutch and Malayan pantries. Next time you crave meat loaf, try this version. From "Home Cooking Around the World." Very good served with shredded carrot salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs very lean ground lamb
- 2 slices white bread
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 yellow onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 cup dark seedless raisins
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon mango chutney, large pieces chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 6 bay leaves
- 1In large skillet, saute the ground lamb, working in batches if necessary to avoid crowding the skillet, until lamb is no longer pink, 3 to 4 minutes per batch.
- 2As it browns, remove lamb to a colander to drain excess water and fat.
- 3In a small bowl, soak the bread in 1/4 cup milk for 20 minutes, turning it over occasionally.
- 4Squeeze excess milk out of bread and then tear it into pieces.
- 5Heat oven to 375ºF.
- 6Lightly butter a 13-by-9-by-2-inch glass baking dish.
- 7In a large skillet, heat the butter.
- 8Add the onions and saute until softened, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- 9Add the garlic and curry powder and saute 1 minute.
- 10Remove from heat.
- 11In a large bowl, mix together the lamb, onion mixture, raisins, almonds, lemon juice, chutney, salt, pepper and 1 egg, slightly beaten, until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- 12Spoon into prepared baking dish.
- 13Tuck the bay leaves into lamb mixture.
- 14Bake at 375ºF.
- 15for 30 minutes.
- 16In a glass measuring cup, stir together the remaining egg and remaining 3/4 cup milk.
- 17Pour over lamb mixture.
- 18Bake until egg mixture is set, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- 19Remove and discard bay leaves before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for South African Curried Lamb Casserole with Raisins & Almonds
Serving Size: 1 (284 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 624.9
- Calories from Fat 415
- Total Fat 46.1 g
- Saturated Fat 20.8 g
- Cholesterol 193.8 mg
- Sodium 374.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 30.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: