Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I really love curried eggs when i want something yummy but easy on a hot night (spicy foods go well with steamy days). It saves cooking meat, boiling eggs can be done in the morning before the rest of the day happens
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons hot curry powder
- 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, shelled and halved
- Heat butter in a saucepan and saute onions gently until just browned.
- Remove from heat. In a small bowl, mix curry powder, flour, salt, pepper and sugar into the vinegar. Incorporate curry mixture into onions and stir, slowly adding the water.
- Simmer continuously for 10-15 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly. Arrange halved eggs on a warm dish, and spoon on the curry sauce.
Wow, did this take me back to me childhood in SA - just like my mum used to make it - I love vinegar curry - I used quite a hot curry, added 1/2 teaspoon tumeric and only used 1 cup of water - Delicious!
Great recipe, one of the best curry sauces ever. Never had one with this sweet-sour touch, it makes a lovely match with the curry. Used gluten free mix of white rice flour, cornstarch and arrowroot starch, and it thickened nicely. Will definitely use this sauce for other dishes, too - I can imagine it being perfect for veggies. Thanks for sharing!
Made for New African Tag Game / Africa Forum.
Seriously good eggs! They were so different, but in a very good way. I was definitely skeptical about this recipe, but it came together beautifully. All of the ingredients seemed made for each other in the end. Thanks for the great recipe!