Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is also from the web site Rainbow Nation Connecting South Africa and has been posted here for the ZWT-7 Tour of Africa. Most South African BBQ's always have a number of salads to compliment the meats. This curried carrot salad is one example of the wonderful salads typically served.
- 1 kg carrot
- 1⁄2 kg onion
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup raisins, seedless
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove, whole
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppercorn, black
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons curry powder
- Peel the carrots and slice thinly.
- Cover the slices with water and boil just until soft then drain and set aside until needed.
- Peel and halve the onions and slice thinly then cover the onions with boiling water and leave to stand for 15 minutes, then drain the onions.
- In a large pot add the cooked carrots and onions, white vinegar, sugar, raisins, salt, cloves and black peppercorns and bring to a boil.
- Mix the corn flour and curry powder with 1/2 cup of water.
- Now add the curry mixture to the carrot mixture and let boil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon the hot curried carrots into clean hot jars and seal immediately.
This is terrific! I wasn't quite to sure what to expect from a sweet/sour/curried carrot salad but it blew my socks off. This has a an amazing flavor that is so very worth the cooking. I made this early in the day and chilled it till dinner and what a treat. This will certainly be making repeat performances around here :D.
Sweet and tangy goodness! I used Recipe #457168
for the curry, cut back to 1 teaspoon salt. Used red and sweet onions. Made 5 1/2 pint jars. Thanks Made for ZWT 2011.