Recipe by Enjolinfam
This desert recipe was given to me by my South African friend Sheralee. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds delicious. Posted for ZWT 4.
Top Review by MissJNollet1873
The recipe is user friendly. I thoroughly enjoyed the milk tart for its simplicity and delicious flavor. I could have scaled down the original serving size from 6-8 to 4. But, the large batch was worth it as I had milk tart served cool in the morning with a hot cup of coffee. Or, after dinner with a glass of sweet, dessert wine. Yum! By the way, I dusted the top of the milk tart before baking with a blend of cinnamon and sugar so I ended up with a very light caramelized crust.
- 3⁄4 cup self-raising flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 ounce butter, melted
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Put all the ingredients together into a bowl or food processor and beat to a smooth batter.
- Pour into a buttered pie dish (approximately 23cm/9" in diameter, but it doesn't matter if it's not exact, the finished tart will just be either a bit deeper or shallower). Sprinkle the cinnamon over the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 175C / 350°F
- Serve warm or cold. It sinks and becomes denser as it cools. If you eat it hot you'll need a spoon to scoop up the soft custardy tart but cold you can pick up the slices in your hand, if it hasn't vanished long before then. :).