Wendys Kitchen's Note:
From SBS Food. Does not include 8 hours proving time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 50 g fresh yeast
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water, plus 1/4 tsp extra
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus 1/4 tsp extra
- 250 g butter
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 150 ml milk
- 150 ml cream
- 6 1/2 cups plain flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- oil, for spraying
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 5 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup melted butter, for brushing
- handful sultana
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1Crumble the yeast into a small bowl. Add the water, ¼ teaspoon sugar and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave it in a warm place until very frothy.
- 2Melt the butter and margarine, but do not boil. Add the milk and cream, and set aside.
- 3Sift the flour, sugar and salt together. Beat the eggs with the extra yolk until frothy. Add the flour mixture to the eggs, then add the yeast mixture. Beat with a dough hook for 10–12 minutes, or knead by hand. Place the dough in a bowl that has been sprayed with oil, and cover with plastic. Leave it in a warm place until the dough doubles in bulk, about 6 hours, depending on the weather.
- 4Throw the dough onto a floured board, divide into three and knead each piece. Add as little flour as possible, as it will only make the dough heavy. Knead as little as possible, as it spoils the texture. The dough must be just manageable. Ensure there is a little flour on the rolling pin and roll each piece of dough out until about 20 cm (8 in) wide and 5 mm (¼ in) thick.
- 5Make the cinnamon sugar by combining the sugar and cinnamon. Brush the dough generously with melted butter, sprinkle liberally with cinnamon sugar and sultanas, and roll up lengthwise. Cut the log into 5 cm (2 in) sections and place in the cups of large muffi n tins, sliced side up. Mix the beaten eggs with a little water and brush the top of the dough.
- 6Mix the streusel ingredients and sprinkle generously on top. Leave to prove or increase in bulk for about 2 hours.
- 7Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- 8Bake for about 20 minutes. Boolkes freeze well. Reheat, covered in foil.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for South African Cinnamon Buns Boolkes
Serving Size: 1 (2987 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 276.8
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 64.6 mg
- Sodium 179.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 15.1 g
- Protein 4.0 g