I learned how to make curry from a very good South African friend. Over time I have changed it up a bit to suit my taste. My SA friends actually love this when I make it. I serve it with curried daal and basmati rice. Don't forget to add chutney and sambals! Enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 -3 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili paste (depending on how hot you like it)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon good quality curry powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock (you may also use water)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 curry leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 ounces plain yogurt
- Start with a hot pan with olive oil - add onion and saute for a few minutes. Add ginger paste, sriracha, garlic, curry powder, garam masala and cinnamon stick. Saute for a few minutes until you make sort of a paste.
- Add chicken and saute until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add potatoes, tomatoes, curry leaves, bay leaves and chicken stock - bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook uncovered for approximately 1 hour stirring occasionally.
- Add more chicken stock if you like it thinner.
- The curry should thicken and have a rich deep golden colour.