Adapted from the Afi Chef website. Posting for ZWT 4. This lacks the fruit that is common in a lot of Bobotie recipes and is the reason I was attracted to it in the first place. It has a nice light curry flavour and a hint of sweetness.
- 500 g beef, minced
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices white bread, stale with crusts removed
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Pre heat oven to 160°C.
- Soak bread in water for around 10 minutes, remove and squeeze excess water and tear into small pieces.
- Add 2 eggs to a large bowl and whisk. Add mince and mix to combine. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil and fry onion until golden in colour.
- Add onion mixture to mince along with crumbled bread, hot water, sugar, lemon juice, curry powder, cloves, garlic, turmeric and salt. Mix to combine all ingredients.
- Spoon mixture into a greased, oven proof dish and cook in oven uncovered for 40 minutes, remove from oven.
- Combine topping ingredients and pour over bobotie. Place back in oven and cook for another 10 minutes. Or until topping is set.