Missy Wombat's Note:
From the "Ask Asha" column of the Sunday Times in Durban.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C.
- 2Using a deep, dry bowl beat egg whites until stiff.
- 3Add the sugar gradually and continue beating until thick.
- 4Add the yolks and beat lightly.
- 5Sift the dry ingredients gently over and mix in lightly.
- 6Fold in the margarine and water.
- 7Pour into two prepared tins and bake for 20 minutes.
- 8Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- 9Fill and sandwich with jam and cream.
- 10Sift icing sugar on top of cake.
- 11HINT: To prepare baking pan, brush lightly with oil.
- 12Cut out brown paper to fit base.
- 13Place at the bottom of the pan and then brush paper with oil.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for South African Basic Sponge Cake
Serving Size: 1 (46 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 134.4
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 63.4 mg
- Sodium 251.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 15.1 g
- Protein 3.1 g