Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Very traditional, very comforting! Rather don't use tapioca, which is similar but has much larger "beads" or grains. Tapioca would need soaking overnight.
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup sago
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg or 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 5 tablespoons apricot jam
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (extra)
- Oven: 325 deg F/160 deg Celsius.
- Grease a large pudding dish lightly.
- Heat milk to nearly boiling, then add sago, salt, and nutmeg or cinnamon.
- Simmer over very low heat until sago is transparent.
- Add the 1/2 cup sugar, butter and vanilla, and stir in well. Remove from heat.
- Separate the eggs, and whisk the yolks. Add yolks to the sago mixture, whisk or mix through well, and pour the mixture into the prepared oven dish.
- Put blobs of the apricot jam all over the pudding mixture.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff, and add the extra 1/2 cup sugar slowly, whisking until incorporated.
- Spread this meringue over the sago pudding.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 40 - 45 minutes, until set, and the meringue is light brown on top.
- Serve hot, warm or cold.
Quick, easy and utterly delicious!
I've made this delicious recipe about 4 times now, and have perfected it. It is always a hit with a crowd of pudding lovers. Best served with home-made custard! Yum, gotta have another bowl!
I have made this recipe often from a similar recipe that my mother-in-law had. This is my family's favourite dessert, and although it is tradionally a winter dessert, they ask for it any time of the year. I make a dairy-free version at the same time in a different mix by following the same recipe but replacing the milk with rice milk. I bake the 2 mixtures at the same time.