Recipe by Zurie
Posted for the Zaar Tour 2006. Qualifies because of milk content. Nice and comforting: keep this recipe for winter as well!
Top Review by Elmotoo
Wow, how did this go unreviewed since 2006?? i had cooked basmati so i used that. this is so light - i'm guessing from the egg whites. wonderfully custardy!! this came together quickly & baked while we ate dinner. perfect! cheers, Zurie, you are loved!
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind, finely grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 325°F.
- Heat milk and add the cooked rice.
- Whisk egg yolks in a roomy bowl with the sugar and salt, then add milk mixture slowly.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff and then fold into rice/egg yolk/milk mixture.
- Add the vanilla and lemon rind, and stir through.
- Ladle mixture into a greased oven dish and bake about 40 - 45 minutes or until set.
- Serve with any commercial syrup or syrup from bottled fruits. (The Zaar recipe robot would not allow me to state "Syrup to serve" in the ingredient list!).