Recipe by GT in SA
A traditional South African dessert. Not haute cuisine but great comfort food. Usually served to finish off a Sunday lunch featuring leg of lamb.
Top Review by bianca
We made this an the dough melted in the water. What a waste of ingrediants, Called a friends mom for a recipe which had no milk in and the dough was cooked in approximately 5cm of water (5 spoonfuls at a time) this worked great. This recipe did not work at all for me...
- 250 ml all-purpose flour
- 2 ml salt
- 10 ml baking powder
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons margarine or 6 tablespoons butter
- 100 ml milk
- 500 ml boiling water
- 25 ml butter
- 150 ml cinnamon sugar, mix 4t ground cinnamon with 1 cup sugar
- Sift together dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Blend in margarine/butter with fingertips until mixture attains crumbled consistency.
- Beat together egg and milk and mix with flour mixture until soft (but not stiff)dough - add more milk as necessary to achieve right consistency.
- Preheat oven to 120C (220F).
- Heat water and 25ml butter in 4 litre (4-quart) pot to boiling and drop spoonsful of dough mixture into boiling water/butter.
- Place lid on pot and boil for 15 minutes - do NOT lift lid to peek!
- Remove dumplings with slotted spoon and place in ovenproof dish or bowl (preferably glass) with lid. Liberally sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Add remaining cinnamon sugar to water in pot and bring to boil.
- Pour cinnamon syrup over dumplings, replace lid and place in preheated oven until serving - at least 30min.