Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
I made a big pot of my chili and had a loaf of homemade sourdough bread leftover from the day before. I wanted something different from the usual garlic bread or corn bread, one typically serves with chili. I opened the fridge and this cheese spread is what I came forth. A wonderful spread, dip and as you'll find out, perfect for spreading on sourdough or French bread and heating under the broiler.
- 1 sourdough baguette (can use any crusty bread)
- 1 (8 ounce) package neufchatel cheese (sub low-fat cream cheese)
- 1 fresh jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper, fresh cracked (add to taste if using ground pepper)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Mrs. Dash garlic and herb seasoning
- 1⁄4 teasppon Cavenders All Purpose Greek Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Budweiser beer or 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon dried onion, minced
- 4 tablespoons 2% cheddar cheese, shredded
- Soften cream cheese to room temperature and transfer to a medium size mixing bowl. Add in all remaining ingredients and combine well. Transfer to an air tight container and allow to sit on the counter for 15 minutes or to 1 hour, to allow the seasonings and dried onion to become soft.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Slice your baguette in half lengthwise. Generously slather both sides of the baguette with the cheese spread. Place in the oven for 10 minutes until the crust is crunchy and the spread is bubbly. OR you may place the baguette under the broiler for 3-5 minutes.
- Store leftover cheese spread in an airtight container in the refrigerator.