Recipe by Donna M.
Great sourdough bread that can be made in the bread machine with the dough cycle.
Top Review by Margaret3
this turned out beautifully! i must admit that it looked pretty flat after sitting on the counter in "rise" mode for 2 hours. but there was nothing to worry about-it baked up a nice, plump loaf and had great texture, color, crust and flavor. i will definitely pursue more sourdoughs without a yeast "push!"
- 2 cups proofed sourdough starter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup warm milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups white bread flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Measure the culture into bread machine pan.
- Add remaining ingredients, with flour being last.
- Set machine for dough cycle and start.
- At end of cycle, remove dough from machine and shape into desired loaf.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled--this can take as little as 1 hour or several hours, depending on what type of starter you use and how active it is.
- Top of loaf can be slashed at this stage, if desired.
- Uncover and bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes, or until done.
- Remove from baking pan and cool on wire rack.
- NOTE: I don't let my dough rise in the dough cycle; I just remove it after the kneading is completed and shape my loaf, then let loaf rise.