Recipe by Lou
A wonderful sourdough, taco flavored bread! My son from Mississippi always wants to go to Amish country when he comes home to obtain the dry sour cream sauce mix. He has a start from my 36 year old starter and this is the only bread he will make! This recipe is from "The sourdough cookbook", by Rita Davenport. preparation time is a guess.. Note: you may substitute Liptons dry onion soup mix for the sour cream powder, and cheddar cheese can be used instead of parmesan.
Top Review by half yank
no wonder your son just makes this one bread! Its delicious! I had a little trouble finding the dry sourcream sauce mix, but I found it Swiss Village in Sugar creek. Its called Sour cream & onion powder. Its really worth finding the mix cause this is one special bread!Its not as complicated as it looks either. Yummy, Yummy, Yummy!
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 1⁄4 cup water, warm
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 cup water, warm
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning mix
- 1⁄4 cup dried onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄4 ounces sour cream, sauce mix
- 2 -3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Set out the sourdough starter,and let it come to room temperature.
- Sprinkle yeast over 1/4 cup warm water, and set aside to soften for 5 minutes.
- Prepare Taco filling:.
- Mix together 1/4 cup melted butter, taco seasoning mix, and the dried minced onion. Set aside.
- Stir softened yeast mixture into sourdough mixture. Add salt, oil and sour cream sauce mix.Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead for 8-10 minutes, or til smooth and elastic.
- roll out dough into a 16X12 inch rectangle. cut lengthwise into three strips. spread filling on each strip, leaving 2 inch on the long side of each strip uncovered. Starting with covered long edge, roll up each strip jelly roll fashion. Pinch ends to seal.
- Place strips sid by side on greased baking sheet. Keeping seam sides inside, braid strips into one long braid.Lightly pinch ends together.
- cover with a cloth and set in a warm place to rise for 50-60 minutes, or til doubled in size.
- In a small bowl, beat egg. Beat in 1 Tablespoon water. Brush egg mixture over surface of loaf several times as dough rises.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake loaf 40-45 minutes or til golden brown. After 30 minutes, if loaf is golden brown, cover with a tent of foil to prevent further browning . Remove from baking sheet. Serve warm or cold, tho I prefer warm . Makes 1 loaf.