Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A wonderful sourdough, taco flavored bread! My son from Mississippi always wants to go to Amish country when he comes home to obtain the dry sour cream sauce mix. He has a start from my 36 year old starter and this is the only bread he will make! This recipe is from "The sourdough cookbook", by Rita Davenport. preparation time is a guess.. Note: you may substitute Liptons dry onion soup mix for the sour cream powder, and cheddar cheese can be used instead of parmesan.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 1⁄4 cup water, warm
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 cup water, warm
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning mix
- 1⁄4 cup dried onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄4 ounces sour cream, sauce mix
- 2 -3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Set out the sourdough starter,and let it come to room temperature.
- Sprinkle yeast over 1/4 cup warm water, and set aside to soften for 5 minutes.
- Prepare Taco filling:.
- Mix together 1/4 cup melted butter, taco seasoning mix, and the dried minced onion. Set aside.
- Stir softened yeast mixture into sourdough mixture. Add salt, oil and sour cream sauce mix.Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead for 8-10 minutes, or til smooth and elastic.
- roll out dough into a 16X12 inch rectangle. cut lengthwise into three strips. spread filling on each strip, leaving 2 inch on the long side of each strip uncovered. Starting with covered long edge, roll up each strip jelly roll fashion. Pinch ends to seal.
- Place strips sid by side on greased baking sheet. Keeping seam sides inside, braid strips into one long braid.Lightly pinch ends together.
- cover with a cloth and set in a warm place to rise for 50-60 minutes, or til doubled in size.
- In a small bowl, beat egg. Beat in 1 Tablespoon water. Brush egg mixture over surface of loaf several times as dough rises.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake loaf 40-45 minutes or til golden brown. After 30 minutes, if loaf is golden brown, cover with a tent of foil to prevent further browning . Remove from baking sheet. Serve warm or cold, tho I prefer warm . Makes 1 loaf.
no wonder your son just makes this one bread! Its delicious! I had a little trouble finding the dry sourcream sauce mix, but I found it Swiss Village in Sugar creek. Its called Sour cream & onion powder. Its really worth finding the mix cause this is one special bread!Its not as complicated as it looks either. Yummy, Yummy, Yummy!