Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
These sourdough cookies cookies have replaced standard sugar cookies. I make them now for the children to decorate' and to hang on their Christmas tree.
- 1 cup Crisco shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sourdough starter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemons or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
Egg Yolk Paint
- 3 -4 large egg yolks
- 5 teaspoons water
- food coloring
- 1 tablespoon white corn syrup
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Cookies: Cream together shortening and sugar.
- Add eggs, sourdough starter, and flavorings;.
- mix well.
- Stir flour mixture into starter mixture until well blended.
- Chill dough, if desired.
- Roll out dough 1/4-inch thick and cut with cookie cutters.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350° until very lightly browned.
- Remove immediately from oven and transfer cookies to cooling rack.
- When cool, paint with egg yolk paint.
- Use clean paint brush.
- Decorate with icing.
- Egg-Yolk Paint: Blend together egg yolks, water, desired good coloring and corn syrup to sweeten.
- If you want to use more than one color, divide into small jars before adding color.
- Icing: Combine ingredients.
- Beat with electric mixer at high speed for 7-10 minutes--Icing is now ready to use.
- Keep bowl covered with damp cloth to prevent drying.
- Icing will dry very hard and cookies are stackable.
Oh Yum. Tinted these pink for Valentines day and the kids loved them. Soft and light. Easy to roll and cut out too. Definate keeper. Will use at ST. Patty's day and Easter. Love the sourdough. Update: Made again for Valentines day again this year. Currently on batch number three because they are soooo good. I tinted 1/2 the last batch pink and decorated for my daughter's kindergarten Valentines day party. I made according to recipe but used a butter cream icing to decorate. I use double strength Vanilla but still used a tsp, I love the hint of almond flavor that shows through. I did chill them overnight and baked them off this morning. These are a favorite to everyone who tastes one. I have passed the recipe on to several people. Thank you so very much for my favorite sugar cookie.
Very good. I used this recipe to make some Halloween cookies and everybody, adult or kid, liked them.
This is a very good sugar cookie, I must say. And I love being able to use a little of my sourdough starter in it. I have just made a huge batch of these for a church benefit, and I have frosted them with Kahlua Cream Cheese frosting and topped each off with a single chocolate-covered espresso bean. Sublime. Thanks for the recipe!