1 hr 40 mins
Epi Curious's Note:
Bon Appetit, November 2009. 100% of those who tried and reviewed this recipe said they'd make it again. That speaks volumes!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 13 cups sourdough bread, crusts removed, bread cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 13 cups)
- 2 lbs pork sausage (breakfast type, bulk)
- 2 onions, chopped (about 4 generous cups)
- 2 cups celery, chopped (about 5 stalks)
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 cups granny smith apples, peeled, cut in cubes (about 28 ounces)
- 3/4 cup golden raisin (about 4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons sage, fresh, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 large eggs
- 1Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F Spread bread cubes in single layer on large rimmed baking sheet. Bake until pale golden, stirring occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer bread to very large bowl.
- 2Sautésausage in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through, breaking up into small pieces with back of fork, 8 to 10 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to bowl with bread cubes. Add onions and celery to drippings in skillet; sautéuntil golden brown, about 12 minutes. Transfer to bowl with bread-sausage mixture (do not clean skillet).
- 3Melt 2 tablespoons butter in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples; sauté until tender, about 10 minutes. Add to bowl with bread mixture; mix in raisins.
- 4Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in same skillet over low heat. Add 2 tablespoons sage; stir 30 seconds. Add sage butter to bowl with bread-sausage mixture; toss to blend. Season stuffing with salt and freshly ground black pepper. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.
- 5Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F Generously butter 15 x 10 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Whisk broth and eggs in medium bowl; add to stuffing and toss to mix. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Bake stuffing uncovered until top is golden and crisp in spots, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes and serve.
Browse Our Top Christmas Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sourdough Stuffing With Sausage, Apples and Golden Raisins
Serving Size: 1 (372 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 270.9
- Calories from Fat 173
- Total Fat 19.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 88.1 mg
- Sodium 417.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 11.1 g