Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Cooking Light November 2005.
- 8 cups cubed sourdough bread
- 1 lb turkey sausage
- cooking spray
- 5 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 (8 ounce) packagepre- sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups cubed peeled bartlett pears (2 medium)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Arrange bread ina single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 425°F for 9 minutes or until golden. Place in a large bowl.
- Remove casings from sausage. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sausage, and cook for 8 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add sausage to bread cubes, tossing to combine. Set aside.
- Return pan to medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, and carrot; saute 10 minutes or until onion begins to brown. Stir in mushrooms; cook 4 minutes. Stir in pear, basil, tarragon, and salt; cook 4 minutes or until pear begins to soften, stirring occasionally. Add pear mixture to bread mixture, tossing gently to combine. Stir in broth and pepper.
- Place bread mixture in a 13x9-in baking dish coated with cooking spray; cover with foil. Bake at 425°F for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake stuffing an additional 15 minutes or until top of stuffing is crisp.