Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sourdough bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 12 cups)
- 3⁄4 lb bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 cups chopped leeks (about 2 medium size - use only the white and light green part)
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced (I use a mixture - shitake, cremini, button, portabella, oyster - whatever you can find)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried sage
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- Place bread cubes on 2 baking sheets.
- Place in a 350 degree oven and bake until dry and crispy, stir once or twice.
- This takes about 20 minutes.
- Saute bacon pieces in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp.
- Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Leave about 1/4 cup drippings in the pan and discard the rest.
- Add the chopped leeks and celery and saute until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, sage, thyme, salt and pepper and continue to saute 10 more minutes.
- Mix mushroom mixture with bread cubes in a large bowl.
- Add 2 cups of the broth.
- You can prepare up to this point and refrigerate, covered for up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a 13 x 9 pan with cooking spray.
- Beat eggs and baking powder in a small bowl.
- Mix into stuffing mixture; add more broth if it seems too dry.
- Place in prepared baking dish.
- Bake until cooked through and golden brown.
- This takes about 1 hour.
- Serves 12.