1 hr 20 mins
Spencer #2's Note:
This dressing recipe tastes like traditional stuffing but with some added flavors that will leave the guests asking "What is this that tastes so good?" You must use Granny Smith apples or the flavors will not mingle properly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 loaf sourdough bread, cubed
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 2 leeks, cleaned and thinly sliced (white and light green part only)
- 2 large granny smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped or 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped or 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 lb bacon, cooked and chopped into small pieces
- 3 -4 cups chicken broth or 3 -4 cups stock
- 1Spread bread cubes out on 2 rimmed baking sheets and toast in a 350 degree oven until dried out and slightly crisp (10-15 minutes). Set aside.
- 2In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft but not browned, about 7 minutes. Add apples and leeks and cook for a few minutes longer until apples are crisp tender. Add sage, thyme, and bouillion, stir and cook for a minute longer, then remove from heat.
- 3Transfer onion/ apple mixture to a very large mixing bowl, add chopped bacon and bread cubes, and toss well. Add 2 cups of chicken broth, toss well, then add more broth, a little at a time until the stuffing is well-moistened, but not soggy. Taste and add a bit of salt, if desired.
- 4Pour stuffing into greased casserole dishes (mine fit into one 9x12 dish, but you can divide if necessary). Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 20 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sourdough Stuffing With Apples and Bacon
Serving Size: 1 (290 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 563.7
- Calories from Fat 293
- Total Fat 32.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 55.2 mg
- Sodium 1161.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 14.5 g