Recipe by aronsinvest
Came from food network. A wonderful brunch dish. Make the night before. Enjoyed by all. I add extra cayenne cause that's how I roll. ;) Read the directions before making. you can sub sun dried tomatoes if you want instead of roasting them.
- 8 plum tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups whole milk
- 8 large eggs
- 10 ounces italian Fontina cheese, grated (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 cups sourdough bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (1 loaf)
- 4 cups chopped greens, such as kale, spinach or 4 cups arugula
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Toss the tomatoes with the thyme, olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and black pepper in a bowl. Spread on a baking sheet and roast, stirring once or twice, until the tomatoes are slightly dried and browned in spots, 1 hour to 1 hour, 15 minutes. Cool completely.
- Whisk the milk, eggs, fontina, 3/4 cup parmesan, the cayenne, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in a large bowl. Add the bread cubes and greens and toss to coat. Pour into a 3-quart baking dish, then top with the roasted tomatoes. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Sprinkle the strata with the remaining 1/4 cup parmesan and bake, uncovered, until golden brown and almost set, about 45 minutes. Turn off the oven, but keep the strata inside 10 minutes before serving.