1/2 Photos of Sourdough Starter and Sourdough Rye Bread
3 hrs 20 mins
2 hrs 45 mins
A very satisfying and tasty country bread from Eastern Europe, this is not difficult to make. The starter has to be left to ferment for a couple of days, so it does require a little advance planning. This makes 2 large loaves. Enjoy! Adapted from Classic Home Cooking. Prep time does not include time to make the starter or sponge, but does include rising time.
My Private Note
large l ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups rye flour
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 12 cups unbleached white flour, plus extra for sprinkling (may replace 2-4 cups of the white flour with whole wheat)
- 1/4 ounce fast-rising active dry yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 3 tablespoons caraway seeds (optional)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- sunflower oil, for greasing (or corn oil)
- cornmeal, for sprinkling
- 1Make the starter:.
- 2Put the flour into a large bowl and stir in yeast. Make a well, pour in the water and mix.
- 3Cover tightly and leave at room temperature for 2 days. Or you could leave the starter in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- 4Make the sponge:.
- 5Put the rye flour into a large bowl, add 2 cups of sourdough starter and the water, and stir to mix. Cover tightly and leave at room temperature for 8 hours or chill in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- 6Make the bread:.
- 7Put the flour into a bowl, add the sponge mixture , yeast, measured water, caraway seeds(if using), and salt, and mix to a soft and slightly sticky dough.
- 8Turn the dough into a large ungreased bowl, sprinkle the top with flour, cover loosely with oiled plastic wrap. Leave in a warm place to rise for about 2 hours, until doubled in size.
- 9Lightly sprinkle 2 baking sheets with cornmeal. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and punch down with your fist. Knead for 3-4 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Halve the dough and form each half into a round. Score the tops with a sharp knife.
- 10Place on the baking sheets, cover loosely with oiled plastic wrap, and leave in a warm place to rise for 45 minutes or until they have doubled in size.
- 11Place loaves in a 425*F. oven. Fill a roasting pan with boiling water and place at the bottom of the oven. Bake the loaves for about 35 minutes, until they are lightly browned. Tap the bottoms to see if the loaves are cooked; they should sound hollow. Leave to cool on wire racks. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Sourdough Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sourdough Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sourdough Starter and Sourdough Rye Bread
Serving Size: 1 (2691 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3517.3
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3518.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 738.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 37.8 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 100.8 g